On average medium tree planting costs $225, small tree planting costs $106, and large tree planting costs $2,423 for the US in 2019 according to HowMuch.
Tree planting can add to your properties value and increase the curb appeal of your home and may also serve as a privacy buffer from your neighbors. You will find that the cost to plant an average tree will vary with the size and type of tree, how much access to the property, and labor rates.
Tree Planting Cost
Small tree planting cost: $106 per tree. Small trees come 4 to 6 feet tall in a 5-gallon pot; including transport, site prep, tree planting equipment, and miscellaneous planting supplies.
Medium tree planting cost: $255 per tree. Medium trees come 8 to 10 feet tall in a 15-gallon pot; including transport, site prep and cleanup, tree planting equipment, and miscellaneous supplies.
Large tree planting cost: $,2423 per tree. Large trees come 14 to 20 feet tall delivered in a 1 cubic yard box; includes transport, site prep and clean up tree planning equipment, and miscellaneous supplies.
Other Costs And Things To Consider
Permit fees and taxes are not included.
Electric and utility companies might have the authority to stop you from planting around their overhead lines, check with your local utility companies.
When searching for a tree planting service provider, be sure to ask for a detailed written offer (usually fixed-price) from several providers that include proof of:
• Their tree planting business license
• Professional arborist license (often not needed, but couldn’t hurt)
• Liability insurance and workman’s compensation insurance
• Previous customer references
• A time responsibility to complete the work tied to getting paid
Additional information and proof should also be available regarding:
- Certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
- Registered as a Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) Accredited Business
- The use of shoe-spikes to climb trees (this should NOT be the case)
- The removal of living tree material from the tree-top (this should NOT be the case)
- The disposal of all tree limbs, branches, and cut material; and thoroughly clean up the area
- A criminal background check on the person or persons who will be on your property
- A provision of a signed contract that explains everything in detail about the work to be done including an estimate of time on the job site itself and the fixed-price to deliver
- A valid contractor’s bond on work that surpasses $500
Do It Yourself (DIY) Tree Planting
For smaller trees planting them may be suitable for able DIY persons, though it may require arborist knowledge on how to properly plant and nurture a tree.